2010-10-21

Feature Enhancements, Bug Fix, and Plans for Next Version

It has been some time since I've updated Last Comments, but I found a problem with the comment feeds that demands the gadget be updated to correct for the problem. Currently, comment feeds for an entire blog contain comments left on blog pages as well as blog posts. However, the comment feed does not correctly reference the feed for pages, which confounds Last Comments when it tries to find the page title. So, if you are seeing "some post" or "some unknown post" in place of the title of your page, that is what has been occuring. Last Comments 1.2.11 and 1.1.27 will contain the workaround. I will roll them out into the xml files for 1.1 and 1.2 tonight at midnight EDT.

In addition, I am relaxing the refresh interval to 0, which means that the feed will update in real time instead of after 60 seconds. Although Google requests that developers utilize cached feeds, I have gathered enough evidence of Blogger itself flouting that convention that I am compelled to do it myself.

There will be two more enhancements included in the update: the ability to retrieve up to 200 comments and the ability to cut off the preview at anywhere from 0 to 998 characters (999 remains the command to show recent comments in their entirety).

Finally, after completing work on the Top Commenters Widget, I have the knowledge necessary to transform Last Comments into a widget that will function as a part of your blog rather than as a standalone gadget in an iframe. It will also allow me make the configuration of Last Comments much easier for users because I will not be restricted in how the configuration screen can look, and I will be able to pass in many more parameters without worrying about exceeding Google's URL length limit. Not only that, but a widget version of Last Comments will be able to look exactly like the rest of your widgets in the sidebar. I envision this next version replacing both 1.1 and 1.2. So, stay tuned for Last Comments 1.x!!! I still might transform Last Comments 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 into a single widget, but as of right now I am satisfied with having three separate versions. [Edit 2010-Dec-09]